Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Hair School Casting

Ever since I started dealing with legitimate modeling agencies I've been told to grow my hair out. I was never a fan of the Abercrombie - Justin Beiber look but complied with my superiors instruction. The shaggy hair style was a constant nuisance at the gym through my rigorous cardio sessions with sweaty bangs whipping my eyes at every thrust plus it was so long that at photo shoots unless the hair stylist was quite talented my hair was endlessly styled in the comb over look which is not my preference. The long hair had shown no true beneficial effect until I found a casting for an instructional hair cutting video for a prestigious hair/make up school.

I was out of the city with my family for Christmas when I had discovered the casting call. Originally I had planned to stay up North a few days past the day of the casting but decided to cut the stay early due to the generous compensation which was offered. It turned out to be a wise decision.

Taking trains through blizzard conditions prompted delays and transfers that I had expected but sincerely wished not to encounter. After about 5 hours on this train and that my bed welcomed me. The next morning I was looking severely exhausted with blood shot eyes, puffy eye lids, and some unflattering facial hair. I figured that since those holding the casting were a make up school as well as a hair school they could look beyond that of which could be concealed with their expertise.

The inevitable tardiness of the persons in charge of the casting was unsurprising yet still annoying though I took this time to scope the competition. The majority of the folks were female models and the men that I saw were with long hair but of a completely different overall aesthetic. One was big like a football player with long curly hair and the other was of some foreign descent with overgrown characteristics like mine. I remained neutral, neither worried nor confident. I acted my normal self, the owner of the school met with me, and I told him that I was beyond due for a cut and that if he wasn't the one to cut my hair I'd soon find someone else.

Days had passed since I had heard any news and my anxious worry pushed me to email the school. I didn't type a message asking if I had been selected no I decided to add some finesse to my inquiry and sent, "I've been holding the dates of the potential shoot and I'd just like to know if I may release them as I haven't heard back from you because I have others who would like to shoot on those days." I got a nearly instant apologetic reply stating that I had been selected and that details were soon to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment