Monday, May 16, 2011

Paying Dues

I started catering alot. Tonight we were called in for 4pm to a mosaic tile showroom. The event went for 3 hours but did not start until 6pm. Set up was easy, service bar for champagne and oj while on the other side of the showroom the kitchen prepped to pump out sweet pea and ricotta on crackers, Grilled cheddar with pickle, and asparagrus cheesy puffs as needed through the night. The guys I was working with were the regular group I was teamed with so I knew operation would run smoothly.

The night did conclude with little interruptions and that's been the pattern for the past few weeks. 2 to 3 nights a week dedicated to late nights of dealing with the pompous, pretentious, scavenging populous whom attend the events I serve at. Every beginning to my nights as a caterer tensions exude into my muscles as the thought of the what appear and act to be famined and desperate for food guests to the event huddle around the exit of the kitchen area awaiting our platters of finger foods like lions around a cave entrance with a wounded puppy that has a really sad (cry for me) look on its face hiding inside. There was one group of older women who were beyond curvy that after I stopped going over to where they were sitting to serve them they laid down napkins on the speaker which was directly in front of the door where we exit to begin to serve guests at the party and would surround each guy who came out with a platter taking two or 3 hors duerves at a time. We had to begin to come up through the elevators and emergency exits because the guests were hoarding entry points for the food. We were like wounded chipmunks attempting to feed our babies amidst a forest of rabid cats with heat sensing night vision. I cater and work as often as possible because (it brings me to unique places around NYC AND) I've decided that if my modeling career is to move forward I must travel overseas to explore different opportunities for success. My goal is to be living in another country by July.



(Second floor of a house party I worked at; yes thats a pool, yes thats a dude in a canoe with a captains cap, and yes those are some triply visuals)



No comments:

Post a Comment