Sunday, July 28, 2013

Executive Asshole Sous Chef

In my new kitchen job there is a sous chef who runs the line for each shift. "The line" is just the line of cooks who are pumping out what the diners have ordered so the sous chef is yelling out orders and assuring that everything goes out in a timely manner. We are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner so there are many sous chefs and this creates a hierarchy in the kitchen which has allows most of them to act like douche bags; aggressive, vulgar, demeaning, and all around unpleasant with no penalty. Maybe this is how a "Corporate" NYC kitchen works, maybe I'm in over my head and had no idea what I got myself into by being enlisted to cook in the kitchen for a members only club. Regardless, I feel that I've got a solid opportunity to focus on what I want with my future now that I'm not worried about finding work. One door closes and another one opens, a saying that can relate both to positive and negative scenarios.

Sous chef A (Ass hole) was on me from day one. Screaming orders, swearing, and sliding the knife in and twisting with his words when I wasn't fast enough or doing something properly (sometimes even when done properly). I understand that he's under high pressure to make sure everyone's pulling their weight in the kitchen but he gave me no room for error while I was learning. One night a server asked him for focaccia and he yelled for me as I was exiting the kitchen. I didn't hear him so he threw a piece of bread at my head. As I turned to see what he was bitching about that time, the bread was about to hit me in the face so I turned and it hit the back of my head. I walked up to him shaking my head and he said "what, you don't know me! Everyone in this kitchen knows me, I'm crazy!" I just laughed and told him that anyone can talk but what mattered was the action. He said some shit about going into the freezer to act and I just brushed him off.

Each one of them have their unique asshole characteristics and I'm disheartened that they have no interest in being friendly beyond the rare occasion that they ask nicely for what they want. I've had so many jobs that I've probably forgotten some of the best random ones but I've always observed my superiors; their personal behavior, behavior towards colleagues, and whatever random wisdom I could attain from them. I believe it all breaks down to a simple message, treat others as you wish to be treated. The few times I've lead a team for whatever job, I remembered the bosses I'd worked with in the past who treated me in a decent and fair manner so that we could work in an honest teamwork mentality and have my staff want to do the job for me. 

I'm not sure why I'm accepting this new high pressure work but at the end of the day I do enjoy the challenge of the job itself. The restraint I must exercise to not lash back at my asshole sous chef also entertains me. I remember 5 years ago when I read "The Art of Happiness", the Dalai Lama makes note to resist the temptation to get angry from those who anger you and practice patience and discipline. Thank those who push you to the edge because they are the only ones who can put you in situations to truly test your ability to control yourself and remain calm despite the logical justice that would be putting your fist through their face. Sous chef A could quote me saying "You know, you really are a great test of my patience." and it utterly frustrates me that this man chooses to be an asshole to the members of the team he runs (for certain shifts). I loathe people who misuse their management positions to make them feel better about themselves...he wouldn't speak to me on the street the way he does in the kitchen so he's a pussy who needs to fuel his ego through his temporary position of kitchen rule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment