Sunday, August 22, 2010

another day

"Survival of the fittest" certainly relates to success in modeling, fittest not solely related to fitness. I've learned that every opportunity you encounter must be used to its best ability and you should leave no ounce of opportunity wasted. Additionally the ability to create opportunity is absolutely mandatory. Google is an amazing resource so one way I create opportunities is to go fishing through the web for various fashion industry pupils, introduce myself and interest in them/their work by email, and hope that I get a response. It's a strategy game really and if you want to win you must be able to think outside of the box.

Last week I scanned the official fashion week website for designers participating this season and last season. Compared the two seasons and compiled a list of designers from last season whom were not presenting this season and emailed all the designers as well as various other googleable menswear designers (showing and not showing this season). Another thing I've learned is that no one wants to be grouped with others, they want to feel special and unique. Alas I typed individual emails to them all...astonishingly I received an email from a casting director while I was still on the bike(I do all my emailing while on the stationary bike at my gym-THATS RIGHT I LOVE BLACKBERRY).

A casting director for a designer (find out designer if I actually book the show) emailed me and said that he received an email from the designers studio and that he'd like to meet. Flabbergasted I immediately replied and ended up meeting with him that afternoon. His demeanor was nonchalant when he began to attempt to hear my story and why I wanted to be a model. Here is a great example of what I had previously said about people wanting to feel special. If I had replied with bullshit answers and generic responses he would have dismissed the notion that he may cast me and so I replied with sincerity.

I told him that modeling was never a dream nor a contemplation in my youth. The reason it all started was because of craigslist where I would find postings from photographers or artists willing to pay to work with my look to enhance their book. Through that I found model mayhem and from there events similar to this and with my networking the path towards modeling became evident and intriguing.

I also told him of my loyal readership to the publication, GQ and how even as a youth I would acquire every months issue. My interest in fashion developed into a passion as the years of GQ stimulated my tastes for classy, stylish, and unique menswear. Of course I would have no sense of where to begin with styling if it were not for my one of a kind grandmother whom constantly supplied me with clothing through the holidays and even took me out to select my own outfits (usually for back to school) throughout my upbringing. The idea of being a model in GQ was quite enticing and thus with so many motivational factors I took a step into the first stage of the modeling challenge and moved to New York City.

He reviewed my book and said he couldn't guarantee me anything but the fact that the designer sent him my info rather than the reverse it was a good sign and that he'd be in touch. He also referred me to go see a booker at a smaller agency which I've done and am currently waiting to hear back from. So from googling a designer and sending a note of interest I got a good chance at walking in a fashion week runway show and met with a new agency which I had not been seen by yet-point and case.

No comments:

Post a Comment