Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Boat Trip

Hong Kong differs from NY obviously in many ways but to me the most appreciated difference I've encountered is the fact that in an hours commute you can be in exotically remote areas scattered along rocky shore lines with jungle esque vegetation. I've hiked to a few of these locations but recently was invited to go on a boat trip which Hong Kongers refer to as a Junk trip. These trips bring you and a crew of like minded folks out for a day to anchor at a serene beach location where you've got a few options for activities throughout the day.

We met in Sai Kung (the village I had ended my first hike in Hong Kong in) and departed at about 9 am. The owner of my agency introduced me to Jocelyn and she was kind enough to invite me on this excursion with a few of her friends as well as a few of her friends friends. We all made our introductions and boarded the vessel, a large boat about 40 feet long with ample space to relax towed a smaller motor boat which was to be used for wakeboarding and banana boating once we arrived at our desired anchoring spot, and we were off.

After just about a half an hour we pulled up to an isolated white sand beach and the anchor was dropped. The first batch of guys boarded the motor boat and went off for wake boarding while everyone else jumped in the sea with a plethora of floaty noodles and a few beers then headed for the beach. It was really great; the people I had just met were all very cool and from such different backgrounds, the location was unlike anywhere I'd ever been, and the schedule of the day was flawless (chill on a boat or on the beach, eat, drink, and be merry). I fantasized about running such an operation; purchasing an old fishing boat somewhere in South America or some random Asian country and bringing out travelers or business folk on my ship wishing to forget about their lives for a day and providing them their temporary venue to do just that. The day dream was brief but I made a mental note to revisit the thought as it seemed promising. The day was packed with good conversation (with good people), decent food, and an overall highly entertaining day. As with any event where the alcohol starts to flow before noon my conciousness faded and in no time I was buying folks shots at a pub playing billiards getting black out drunk-Good times in Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment